Breaking News

How I Lost My Laptop to OLX con man


By : Eric Djemba ·  Published : October 18, 2015, 12:10 pm ·  Created: October 18, 2015, 12:10 pm ·  Last Updated : January 1, 1970, 3:00 am

After successful application and selection for a job as a morgue attendant I decided I needed to relocate from my Village home to Nairobi like other men, I did not have enough savings after being conned by the white lady so I decided to sell part of my belongings so I could rent out a studio (bedsitter) in the loath suburbs of Mathare and at least buy a Mattress and a few kitcheneries,I flipped through Social media and came across a Facebook group called soko kuu which works in equal measures as OLX where by sellers post their commodities and buyers contact them directly if they are interested. So I took a photo of my Acer computer and posted in claiming it was scratch free... (Although I knew due to its years in service it would not last long to a third hand)...
Days passed and nights and all I could get were abusive comments on how my Laptop looked old and queries on whether it was being used by those paparazzi’s who take photos along KICC but I did not bother with any of those(every notification on that post intrigued me.)As I was optimistic that before a week or so I would have gotten a genuine buyer and before long I would start my life as a City boy. After one week of patiently waiting for a buyer with no luck a friend suggested that I try opening up an account with OLX and post my Laptop there since there is so much traffic of serious people there due to the massive advertise on both print and visual media, I obliged and within a span of two hours I started receiving serious phone calls from Hurlingham ,Runda,Kangemi and Other parts of Nairobi and thus I got spoilt for choice on whom I wanted to sell my beloved laptop to….i became an overnight celebrity just like a girl with many suitors I started being proud and thought I needed not people from Eastland’s to purchase my pet(after all they wouldn’t be able to take care of her)..
After a critical analysis I decided I wanted to sell my pet in hurlingham and I called this guy who had called me and asked whether I would take 15k(ofcourse you know what I told him when he called for inquiry…)I  told him kuna mtu anataka hii lappy na 18k so ngoja ntakushow kama ataiwai,so when I called him I tried to boggle his mind by asking him Boss ulisema huongezi kitu?(you decided not to add a penny?)but he answered in well-orchestrated literature “My word is final,you either take 15k or we stop this deal..he was a damn rude rich kid(I thought in my mind)So I bit the bullet and accept the offer afterall all I needed was 8k since  a studio was going for 3k in Mathare plus 3k deposit and this 2k was enough for a Matress and stove..We schedule to meet the following day and finish the business Astrol petrol station near yaya centre and around 9 am I was already there waiting for him.
He arrived after thirty minutes dressed in crystal white shirt and a prim trouser with a close fitting vest that showed his well built biceps,He was driving a new Toyota Avensis and he told me to get in to the car..after a small introductory chat we decided to exchange the transact but when he looked in to his wallet he realized he only had 10k so he needed to get some more cash from the ATM at the Priory so he left me inside the car and picked up his keys and walked towards yaya mall citing difficulties in finding a parking lot..after a few minutes he called to tell me that he had withdrawn the money so I should close the car leaving the laptop there and go to yaya where I was to find him outside Chandarana Supermarket he also told me to I ensure I close the car properly that nobody steals the laptop from the car..So I did as we had agreed and started moving towards Chandarana…as I set my feet to enter I decided to call him to get exactly where he was standing…and to my astonishment his phone was off..i became numb and my nerves started to vasodilate and my next course of action was to run back to the car and wait for him there. But as I approached where we had parked I felt like I was in dream land…THE CAR WAS NOT THERE I had been conned of my valuable laptop…the bastard had two sets of keys which his accomplice used to veer off after confirming I had left the car to collect the cash…In my pocket I only had 100 so I trekked to town asking God (WHY ALWAYS ME?)Many questions…within no time I was in Khoja where I picked a matatu to Rironi…indeed these social media con men have gone a notch higher. Do not be gullible

No comments